Skip to content

Monday Brain Meal; Trendy veggie wraps and decadent coco-cacao smoothie.

October 3, 2011

Tis a glorious day for a public holiday! If you’re lucky enough to live on the East side of Aus, no doubt you’re kicking back with a cold, dewy stubbie, throwing shrimp at/on/around the barbie, and debating last night’s football match (there was a football final, right?).

Or if you’re anything like me, you’re slurping down an icy choc-coconut smoothie before boxing, brewing some turmeric and nettle tea on the stove, and counting all the reasons why I don’t give a shit about rugby league.

If that meaty footy frenzy left you cold last night, why not stimulate your cranium with some awesome articles from around the web!

Or some real life literature. If you’re quaint like that.

Onto the juicy links!

• Still confused about nut consumption? This article gives a nice summary of the pro’s and con’s of chowin down, and how best to prepare them if you’re including them in your diet.
  • How to bust through that irritating, debilitating state of procrastination. 18 tips from one of my favourite self-development bloggers.
**************************************************************************

And if you’re hungry after all that neuron-firing, i’ve taken the liberty of making you lunch!

Big, chlorophyll-laden Cos lettuce leaves are the perfect vehicle for hummus, guacamole and salad (actually, I’d smear hummus on a dried up old boot and enjoy it; who’s with me?).

Grab yourself some rinsed leaves, layer with beetroot/regular hummus, guacamole and shredded salad.

Fashion into an edible roll-like device; feel super trendy for having ecshewed bread and crammed 120 billion nutrients into a single mouthful.

Easy-peasy guacamole

• 1 large avocado or 2 small, mashed
  • 1 small diced tomato
  • 1 small palmful of finely diced red onion
  • a generous squeeze of fresh lemon (1/4 perhaps)
  • a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste

And to drink?

How’s about a paleo-rific coco-cacao smoothie? In a jar. Because we’re students. (Let’s pretend it’s hip).

Inspired by Kallie at Kallie K’s Health & Wellness blog

• water & flesh of one young coconut
  • 1 heaped t of cacao powder
  • dash real vanilla/vanilla paste
  • 2 organic, pasture-raised eggs
Blend.

Simple, amazeballs.

If you’re looking at me quizzically in regards to the hardcore, wild-thang raw egg business, trust me, you can’t taste it. Apart from a decadent creaminess with a note of vitamin A on the finish they are undetectable. If your next response is, ‘Salmonella! Run for the hills!’, to that I say, organic. Yes, organic, free-roamin’ chickens have a super low incidence of salmonella infection because they aren’t crammed into unsanitary little hell-holes knee-deep in their own faecal matter. They’re out living an empowered, worm-hunting existence in the field, running their chicken democracies and discussing the flaws inherent ┬áin the pecking order. Or clucking. Probably clucking.

Mark Sisson wrote an interesting article detailing some of the main facts about raw vs cooked eggs, if you’re interested.

If not, just drink the smoothie. Did I mention it’s high in electrolytes (from the coconut water), delicious medium-chain triglycerides (healthy, energising, metabolism-boosting fats from the coconut flesh), complete protein (eggs), stimulating theobromine (cacao) and antioxidants (cacao again)? No? Don’t let that put you off the shake – it doesn’t taste healthy, I assure you.

Peace, love and carrots x
10 Comments leave one →
  1. Emma S permalink
    October 3, 2011 11:02 am

I’m loving your blog so far! and find your links very useful/interesting, it’s nice to read fresh material outside of my bookmarks :) thanks!

• Catie permalink*
      October 3, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks so much Emma! Glad you’re finding the links helpful :)

2. October 3, 2011 12:23 pm

Oh thanks so much for the mention here, dear Catie!

• Catie permalink*
      October 3, 2011 9:04 pm

Pleasure. Thanks so much for stopping by!

3. Health Freak College Girl permalink
    October 3, 2011 5:24 pm

i love those links! great things to look at :)

• Catie permalink*
      October 3, 2011 9:06 pm

Hehe thanks! Gotta love using the info of others to fill your own blog post :)

4. October 3, 2011 9:46 pm

Great linkup Catie! Love me some books. Are Dorothy Hall’s herbal books good? I need to get some more books on herbal medicine, I only have a few in my little library. Also have you seen a new naturopathic text book called Clinical Naturopathic Medicine? Helen Padarin (from Nourish-ed) wrote a chapter in it; great text book! It’s true how real eggs taste so much better! I’m gonna try out these recipes hopefully tomorrow! That Smoothie just looks too good.

• Catie permalink*
      October 3, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks Michelle :)
      Love Nourish-ed! Will have to look out for that Nat book (I don’t think I’ve seen it?). You reminded me too that I STILL have to buy Nourishing Traditions! There are way too many books to add to my collection – it’s getting slightly out of hand.
      Dorothy Hall is seriously my idol – such a wise lady; reads like a grandma yapping about folk remedies, common sense medicine and matter-of-fact nutrition, but I just adore her! Such intuitive, practical knowledge. A treasure :)
      Hope you like the smoothie!

• October 4, 2011 1:49 am

Clinical Naturopathic Medicine just came out this year so it’s still fairly new (Helen references Nourishing Traditons in it which is awesome (her chapter is on Paediatrics)). Yes get it (NT)! I love that book. I also love Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz is also really great too. My school sadly doesn’t have those Dorothy Hall books, hopefully I can find them somewhere else!
        I’ll let you know how I go with the smoothie!

Trackbacks