Skip to content

Life’s too short not to jump off high things (figuratively).

July 10, 2012

I’ve done something that defies logic, convention and what little I know about financial savviness.

I jumped off a platform, hoping to land amongst velvety petals or in a sea of strong, sweaty mosh-pit hands. At the very least, sprawled in a lumpy charity bin surrounded by grubby cast-off track pants and mismatched socks.

This week, I finished my Naturopathy course (hooray!), pulled the plug on my casual job, threw all manner of cautions and curses to the wind and decided to mince my way towards self-employment. After studying for 4.5 years, I’m left feeling simultaneously revved and apprehensive about putting myself out there as an independent trader solo naturo freelance writer wordsmith science junkie pep talking person… but as Confucius famously said Why the bloody-hell not, my impressionable child?

Perhaps i’ve read one too many self-help, fist-pumping parables touting the utter liberation of letting go. Letting go of what is considered normal and everyday and expected. Letting go of the social GPS guiding you through a convoluted maze of what’s done, what’s right, what’s proper. Starting one’s own business is hardly groundbreaking but to me it feels like my first, mythical day at Hogwarts. Stepping into the great hall there are unfathomable, magical acts taking place all around; looking up, there is only an infinite cobalt expanse of star-spangled potential.

So. So…as of today, I am working my butt off to carve my own niche. Working for the man bores me. I want to be the man! Answering to myself in all my self-regulating, transgender glory.

Is this what self-employment looks like? Sure hope so!

At the risk of self-indulgently starting another sentence with ‘I’, I plan to branch out as both a writer and health coach. Because I feel compelled to. And it’s what I gravitate towards. Again, why not?

Anyway, this post was not meant to be entirely focused on my own small-scale self-employment adventures; there was an overriding message. I think.

It was to share the excitement of laying the foundations of our own lives like lego train tracks, and veering off onto an entirely new trajectory like a madman. It was to propose that when we jump, we will inevitably be caught, cradled, supported; i’m sure of it. This is the nature of universal magic. Don’t diss. It’s there.

When you ask the question ‘Who says?’ of anything in life, be it what you think you should study, or create, or earn or become… it all starts to appear in a very different light. Things that were once impossible, murkily swimming on the edges of perception become within reach, clear, crisp. Who knows what will happen with my loony schemes for fulfillment, self-directed learning and happiness? But i’m confident that whatever eventuates will serve to teach me something about the world. Something useful; a truth only accessible via a healthy dose of fear, shakiness and doggy-paddling. The best kind of truth.

I’d be incredibly grateful and interested to hear of others’ experience with taking a flying leap and shimmying to the end of the branch. Was it successful? Where’d you end up? What are your tips?

My new website with all the deets will be up and running in the next few weeks and I’ll invite you all over for virtual tea and primal scones to mark the occasion. Over and out.

16 Comments leave one →
  1. July 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Wonderful post Catie. There are no rules about who you in this life and how you are “meant” to live your life. Write your own story, while you honour your potential. I love this inspirational post. I look forward to chatting with you. Keep believing in yourself! Margot

• Catie permalink*
      July 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank you Margot, your transcontinental yogi support means a lot! Speak to you soon xx

2. Jacqueline Allanson permalink
    July 10, 2012 4:37 pm

YAY! Go Catie! Can I get an autographed copy of your first book? I’ll be the first at the door to buy my copy.
    My biggest jump in recent times was booking in for 4 weeks of French school in Paris and homestay with a French family…total immersion without knowing one thing about speaking french…
    Come to think of it, another plunge was diving head first into a new relationship despite a freshly fractured heart. I let myself let go of the past and embrace the fit, sexy, muscular, intelligent, charming, motivated, amazing possibilities of the future…life is sweet…choosing your own path despite what is “right” is really truly what is right.

• Catie permalink*
      July 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Embracing the fit, sexy, muscular, intelligent, charming, motivated, amazing ‘possibilities’ sounds pretty damn fine to me! Nice Jacci – love your input x

3. Robyn permalink
    July 10, 2012 7:23 pm

You are on the right path Catie – I am so proud of you! I think the photo in this post says it all – you are on a trajectory that will send you to great heights! And I am watching with great anticipation….. Maja xx

• Catie permalink*
      July 10, 2012 7:56 pm

You are my most amazing guide and trusted advisor Ma! Thanks for your support from the bottom of my aortic valve x

4. July 10, 2012 10:17 pm

wonderful post! you can do it, you have a great attitude and so smart. you will go far in life ;)
    best of luck!!

• Catie permalink*
      July 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks guys! An inspirational twinnie duo :)

5. July 10, 2012 10:52 pm

You go Catie. I believe you will succeed in whatever you do. I took the plunge just over twelve months ago when I started my own business and they have proven to be some of the most empowering months of my life. I feel as though I am making a small but important difference to some people’s lives and that feels good. It’s also good to know that I am doing that with just my hands and my voice and my heart.
    Good luck from the bottom of my mitral valve.
    Love Marianne.

• Catie permalink*
      July 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Amazing Marianne! Thank you! You’re making a difference at the most crucial stage in the lives of little tackers.

6. Mike permalink
    July 11, 2012 1:11 am

Hi, Catie.

The whole Universe is behind you. No fear.

I am a part-time freelancer. So, welcome to the club.

• Catie permalink*
      July 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Are you Mike?! I didn’t realise! Thanks for the encouragement!

7. July 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey! Love your blog (caught the shout out on the ACNT FB page).

Congrats on graduating, you must be stoked. I have many, many years to go and a million projects I’m working on while studying. And working. Oh, and there are kids… I have a blog at naturalaussiefamilies.com.au and though I’m tiny I might be able to point you towards some good resources if you need, in the way of promoting yourself as a freelancer and the like. If you want to do some blatant self promotion and throw around some free guest posts, I’d love one to land my way…

• Catie permalink*
      July 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Amy!

Thanks for the shout out, the congrats, and, well, the entirety of your comment! Having a peek at your website now and looks like a wonderful resource. Bravo!
      Would love to do a post exchange at some stage. Having trouble finding an email address on your site…?

Anyhoo, cheers for reading x

8. Michael w permalink
    July 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Awesome article. Your journey will be great. I took that leap. Landed flat on my face, but got up anyway and kept moving forward. I’d share my experience but it would take too lOng to type out lol

• Catie permalink*
      July 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks Mike! May be better to hold off on the failure/success story for now while i’m feeling decidedly vulnerable in my career, ha! x